Featured Food Friday: Glorious, Glorious GARLIC!
If you read anything about natural medicine or natural cold and flu remedies, you've undoubtedly seen GARLIC come up multiple times. There's no question that garlic is one of the most effective NATURAL ANTIBIOTICS out there...but do you know what else it can do for you?! Keep reading and find
BENEFITS OF GARLIC
1. Garlic actually increases the amount of T cells produced by the Thymus, meaning that is physiologically boosts the immune system, while simultaneously killing off various strains of viruses and bacterial infections...it's a 2-in-1 deal!
2. Garlic contains a substantial amount of Vitamin B6, which is one of the best things for brain health. So if you're looking to stay sharp mentally, get your garlic in every day!
3. Garlic is incredibly anti-inflammatory, and very effective for autoimmune conditions, COPD, edema, kidney disease, parasites, stroke, cold and flu, viral and bacterial infections (including H. Pylori and SIBO), all cancers, candida, and UTIs.
4. One clove of raw garlic has the equivalent of 100,000 units of penicillin! However, garlic, unlike antibiotics, kills off ONLY the bad bacteria, leaving the good (and making garlic the absolute BEST thing you can consume if you're fighting off any type of intestinal infection!). Pathogens, viruses, and worms run on a different frequency than the "good bacteria" in our intestines. Garlic contains phytochemical that run on that same frequency, meaning it can trick the viruses, worms, and pathogens into thinking it's "one of them." The invaders think that garlic is another invader coming to join their crew, so garlic is able to enter the protective biofilm of the invaders...where it then destroys the viruses, pathogens, and other invaders. HOW COOL IS THAT?!
5. Garlic isn't only effective when taken internally--one of my personal favorite ways to use garlic to kill off a pesky lung infection (and avoid a round of antibiotics!) is to make GARLIC POULTICES and place them on the bottoms of my feet. The soles of the feet are very receptive and sensitive to both pathogens and medicines, and applying essential oils, or any other natural healing remedy to the bottoms of the feet can speed healing dramatically (for more info on this, contact Anna at firstname.lastname@example.org).
HOW TO INCORPORATE RAW GARLIC
Garlic is most effective when consumed in it's raw state (like all foods--enzymes are destroyed above 118 F and the food becomes "dead" and much harder to digest), so try to consume raw garlic at least a couple times per week. If you're fighting off a cold, flu, or any type of infection, consume at least 2 cloves (up to 4) per day for fast relief.
This is a delicious raw dip/soup that you can enjoy, while simultaneously getting your daily dose of garlic. Enjoy!
Gloriously Green Garlic-Dill Dip
1. 3 peeled, chopped zucchini
2. 3 dates
3. Juice of 1/2 lemon
4. Large handful fresh dill
5. 2 large handfuls fresh spinach
6. 2 cloves raw garlic
7. Celtic or Himalayan sea salt, to taste
1. Combine all ingredients into high speed blender and blend until smooth.
2. Serve with raw veggies, over cucumber or zucchini noodles, or as a raw soup. Enjoy!